Friday, October 24, 2008

The Great Pumpkin

Last Halloween (while I was totally strict and loosing lots of weight) my Aunt Stephanie Farnsworth introduced me to the greatest thing ever...

I hate candy in my house. I hate my kids having sticky chocolate fingers and I hate that I am tempted to put that CRAP in my mouth (and on my hips, butt, belly etc.)
So what is the solution...

The Great Pumpkin
He comes to the house the night after Halloween and exchanges all the leftover candy for a prize
How did I not know about this before..
My kids were so excited last year... They PIG OUT on candy for 24 hours then leave it in a bowl on the table on Nov 1st then wake up and SURPRISE.. The candy is GONE.. and they get something cool in return.
I think he brought a movie for each of them. This year.. they are hoping for Mario Cart for Wii...

9 comments:

Becks Blog said...

you could always tell your kids to go over their friend's houses and play spoons, but instead of spoons, use candy :) that way, their candy gets distributed amongst all who play. My parents always used to send us over to this one family, the Allens..... maybe you've heard of them :) I think its a great idea!

Emily R said...

i might just do that. brilliant!

Laura Fuller said...

I will be joining in on this tradition!

Marci McLain said...

You are right. That is a great idea!! I think I may try it too!!

Sarah Mickalson said...

Your too nice. I usually give my kidssome candy Halloween night, reserve a few peices for the next day and store all the rest for birthday pinatas. I hate halloween and candy, so it's a one day deal at my house. Maybe this year I should leave a prize

The Farnsworth Family said...

What a wise wise woman. This aunt Stephanie sounds pretty great. Ha! love ya. My kids are hoping the great pumpkin brings mario kart too.
Okay I am hoping too :)

Stacey said...

I like the spoons and pinata ideas. I let my kids pick 20 pieces each and then I bag up the rest to play games with as well. Problem is....I know where it's hidden!
I hear it's 90's for your trick-or-treating! We've got mid 50's and rain. It's been SO nice all week and then the rains came in today. Maybe we won't have to worry about too much candy this year.

Anonymous said...

Cute idea Dawn.....I might have to join the tradition too. I just throw it away..... :-)

hornes said...

Great idea but......I love candy too much! What would I do if I didn't have it! I wouldn't have my breakfast before I go to the gym! I miss you badly!
xoxo Mindy