Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Injured . . . Wa Wa Wa Wa Wa

So if you have spoken to me or checked my blog in the past MONTH you probably know I am training to do the San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon on June 1st. This is less than 2 months away now and I have spent many many hours running over the past month. I usually go between 3 and 6 miles at least 4 times during the week and do long runs on Saturday's . . . March 22nd I ran 14 miles (I did this run alone and it was rather plesant, easy running I did it in 2 hours easy pace and no walking) this past Saturday March 29th . . . I ran 16 miles (with Tiffany Watkins, Anna Haught and Megan Merrill) We had a nice start but made a pit stop at the McDonnalds on Higley and Brown for a few minutes then headed down Brown to Lindsay then over to McKellips and back with another pit stop at the same McDonnald's to refuel on Powerade and Water . . . Then Home . . . This took about 2 hours and 40 min . . . I was surprised how the pit stops made the run so much harder. There was a little walking but only about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile total. We made it hope and I felt good. My legs were tired and sore and then I realized the top of my foot was hurting. Right under where my shoe laces were on my left foot. . . . I attempted a walk with my family on Sunday afternoon but luckily it was cut short with a grumpy 18 month old so we turned around. Monday Tiffany wanted me to do a Mock Triathalon at the gym (17 laps in the pool, 9 miles on the bike, and 2 miles of running) While I was on the treadmill about 1/2 mile into my run my FOOT was KILLING. . . I seriously thought I could scream, I started walking thinking I could get through it. . . . I finally hit 1 mile and decide I have to Quit!!! My foot hurts WAY TO BAD to continue with this. . . So I get online and do a little self diagnosis I have a Stress Fracture . . . CAUSES: Stress fractures are usually caused by overtraining or overuse. They can also be caused by repeated pounding or impact on a hard surface, such as running of concrete. Increasing the time, type or intensity of exercise too rapidly is another cause of stress fractures to the feet, as is wearing improper footwear. High impact sports such as running, gymnastics, and volleyball can increase the risk of stress fractures. In all of these sports, the repetitive stress of the foot strike on a hard surface causes trauma and muscle fatigue. Without the right shoes, good muscle strength or adequate rest between workouts an athlete can develop a stress fracture.
TREATMENT: The best treatment for a stress fracture is rest. Taking a break from from the routine and doing some low impact exercise (Swimming or Cycling) for a few weeks can help the bone heal. If rest isn't taken, chronic problems such as larger, and more persistent stress fractures can develop. Re-injury may result in a chronic foot problem and the stress fracture might never heal properly.
Wa Wa Wa . . . I will take a week off. . . Still hitting the gym for Weights, Swimming and Cycling but I am hoping by next week I can pick up. cause I am going to do the darn marathon. I know running 26 miles will hurt my body but I WANT TO DO IT!!!
Has anyone else suffered from this, and done anything to fix it? My mom told me to wrap my foot in Tobacco . . Kinda wierd and I will try it when I can get to the store to buy a cigar or a can of chew...

3 comments:

Sarah Mickalson said...

I was running 9 miles a day a month and a half ago and then all of a sydden my knees both started killing me! It was hard to walk for 2 weeks and I still can't runn or even walk on the treadmill yet. The Dr. never took xrays (i asked for one) but they think it was a virus that attacked my joints (I was sick a week or two before that). I have gained back all 5 lbs I had lost and am so unhappy about it! i feel your pain!

Natalie Hall said...

I had the same injury in Utah about 8 years ago, so horrible! Dawn I am so sorry hopefully it heals quickly. My foot took a good year to feel completey back to normal. You will run the marathon, and do great! Just be easy on it as much as you can. One thing listen to your body, when you feel like you are doing to much on it, stop! You are a fighter so I know this has got to be so difficult...

Kristen said...

Hey Dawn!
Definitely sounds like you are overtraining. If you are following a marathon training schedule you should be taking breaks on the days it tells you to. Your body needs to rest and the opportunity to recover especially after the long runs. Not resting definitely leads to injury.

Just my two cents.
Hopefully your foot feels better soon!
Kristen