Monday, July 14, 2008

Never Say....

So last night at a small gathering I was visiting with an older woman (maybe 50ish) well after chatting for 15 or 20 min about her small town she reaches over and pats my belly and says "WHEN ARE YOU DUE?" My response was "I am Not Pregnant!" She tried to pull herself out of the HOLE she just dug herself into with those 4 words. "Oh, I must have you confused with someone else who has long brown hair and wearing a white shirt that was standing right here a few minutes ago. . . " NOPE it was just her trying to SAVE herself from a completely HUMILIATING situation. I was the only one there in a white shirt with long brown hair. There was NO ONE that looked pregnant... ONLY ME, apparently!!

Later at home, I replayed the situation . . . Who is it who should feel MORE embarrassed about that situation; HER, for asking and realizing I am NOT with child; OR ME, for looking as if I am several months pregnant (I must be, to get the belly pat)

SO what things are OFF LIMITS to say to another person . . .

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

oh dawn!! I'm so sorry. For the record you are HOT to TROT! and it is for sure HER that feels humiliated. How would I know this??? Well, coming home from AZ on the plane this girl was shoving her stuff in the overhead compartment and I thought..."oh cool she's totally pregnant we'll have a nice chat." Ummm the chick was SOOOOO not pregnant and sooo not even married. I felt like the biggest idiot and did the same thing trying to back pedal. The difference is you are rock solid and thin and this girl had a belly that was 3 times my size so I thought I was for sure safe with the pregger comment. I'm just going to always keep my mouth shut from now on. Forever! Someone asked me when I was due right after I had Jack...you know when you still have the belly that looks like you are 6 months pregnant. I just wanted to say "shut-up lady." So I empathize with you but again you don't even look pregnant, so I'm thinking she was most likely on drugs or drunk. (sorry for the book)

Lydia said...

pay back for when you were preggers and pretended to britney when she asked you when you were due that you weren't ;)

jk you SOOOO don't even look preggers, my belly is bigger than yours, so she isn't the brightest bulb on the street.

... said...

when i was in 10th grade working at PCC, i had a little asian girl come up to me and say "you have baby?" and i was like "hhhwwwwhat?!?!" she's like "you have baby." i was like... "uhhhh no..." thats not the only time someone has asked me if im pregnant too... dawn, you look amazing. i have started walking for an hour a day. hoping that will help me loose some weight.

the Hornes said...

You know I can TOTALLY relate to that story! Ha ha! You look so good so don't even thimk twice about that comment!