Thursday, August 30, 2007

Nails Nails Nails

So I decide to use a gift certificate To Sunshine Nails & Spa I got for my 30th Bday (thanks Tiffany, Selia and Katie) and get a Manicure and Pedicure today... Well we have all done it.. We go to these little Vietnameese run places and I am sure EVERYONE has experianced Something similar...
I walk in.. one of the ladies who is currently in the process of doing another customer's nails looks up. "what we do for you?" Ummm.. Can I have 2 taco's No lettuce and a diet coke? DUH...(ok i dont say that) I want a manicure/pedicure "Pick a color" how you say FRENCH manicure in YOUR LANGUAGE....
She walks over and turns on the water for the Pedicure footbath. OF course it has to be on BOILING.. I guess they dont know what WARM is. So I sit down and begin to dip my feet into the bubbling water. "oooouuucccchh" I'd say it but who in there other than the few other customers would understand. So as my feet are turning bright red and getting used to the "warmth" of the footbath as she taps ever so lightly on my left foot. No words necessary. I know what to do. I have already mentally prepared for this moment all day. The kids are at home. I can just sit and relax and enjoy someone else rubbing my troubles away. As I find the remote to the massage chair and push ON... She begins removing the old polish, burrr... that is a little cold.... But I allow my mind to go back to the warmth my right foot is feeling in the water. I move my foot around in the jet stream coming out from the back of the chair. . . It feels good to kind of itch my foot with that strong force from the water. Then... another tap this time on my right foot... without looking I place my left foot in the water and bring my right foot out. as the cool polish remover covers my toe nails. Whoo... another tap on my left foot.. This is going fast. as she begins clipping the cuticle off (dang... there is a ton of that crap.. how does it get so bad!!) And another tap.. more cuticle clippings. Ahhh... the callus remover... Ummm, heck yeah I need that.. I have been slacking on moisturizing my heels this summer and they sure can use a good scrubbing. I hear a faint noise and open my eyes to see My Lady, Nhu Mai Tai, begins talking to the salon guy and another salon woman. What are they saying??? Trying to be silly I say jokingly "are you making fun of my gross heels?" The guy quickly looks at me and says they are talking about how they are going to Vietnam... SURE YOU WERE.. then why were you laughing... (at this point I am feeling like Elaine in the Nail Salon from Seinfield... If only I had a translator... I would have known)
The pedicure begins to take a turn for the worse here... Usually when someone works on my heel callus's there is a little pressure behind the scrub... This lady did the motion but there was nothing to it... Was she just trying to tickle me? I felt like saying DIG IN and SCRUB GIRL!!! Then I thought maybe my feet aren't as bad as I thought, but they were... a quick dip of each foot and she is draining the footbath. That seemed kind of fast .. I am getting ready for the best part though... THE MASSAGE!!! I feel the cold loation being squirted on each shin. . . Nhu begins the rub, her hands bairly touch my legs and there is absolutly no pressure behind it either ...and it doesnt feel as good with plastic gloves on anyways.. but whatever.. She slides her hands up to my knees and a quick wiggle behind my calf and back down to my ankles, heels and toes.
She jumps up.. and I look down. I still have streaks of loation all over my lower legs and feet. Nhu comes back with hot towels.. In my head I am screaming WAIT, that cant be it... she rubs off remainder of the loation. I look at my friend Heidi next to me confused. Was that it??? Heidi says loud enough for Nhu and her pedicureist to hear. "The tip is all in the massage!" I couldnt agree more... Nhu is NOT getting a tip from me.... as I pout a little Nhu begins to paint the white on the tip of my toe nail. It's over ... I look over at Heidi who is enjoying a nice long leg massage and is even offered the Sea Salt.. I totally would have dont that... I would have done anything to get Nhu to rub my legs a little longer and harder... I feel so depressed but Nhu doesnt seem to mind she goes right on with the rest of the Pedicure. It was over... My legs still craving a little rub and Nhu walks away leaving me in the Chair. . .
She did hear me say I want a Mani/Pedi right?? after a few minutes I lean over to Heidi's Lady, who is still deep in the massage on Heidi's legs, and say. . "Am I going to be able to get a Manicure?" Crap... she calls for Nhu to set it up... AAAHHHH..... I go over to Nhu's station. She gets a cold mini bowl of water. again. NO WORDS... at least not to me.. It is like listening to a Vietnameese Talk Radio Show on the Lowest volume possible but it is right in front of you... How do they hear what eachother is saying across the salon? I can bairly hear and she is 1 foot away from my face. The Manicure was just as cold and fast as the Pedicure. It was over.. I didnt get a good hand massage either. I go to pay. I AM NOT TIPPING AT ALL!!! I hand over my gift certificate and look at what it was for. $35.00 at least that covers it and I dont have to pay anything.
But Nhu looks at me confused because she doesnt know English AT ALL... ends up calling another worker over to let me know that I OWE MORE than the $35.00 on my Gift Card. I have to pay $45.00... I see Nhu pocket the extra $10 as I walk out SO FUMMING MAD and set NEVER TO GO TO THIS PLACE AGAIN... Well... at least NEVER USE NHU MAI TAI there.

Here is what my Certificate should have covered this is from their flyer..Sea Salt Pedicure: $25.00 & Manicure: $10.00; Soak your feet in a warm footbath and relax, this is everything you need to rejuvenate tired feet. With Sea Salt Exfoliation Followed by Steamed Towels and a Foot Massage with Stress Relief Oil and A Full Manicure Including a Long Hand Massage and Polish.

I guess they dont follow through with what they are writing in their flyers... I am so mad... I have thought about going back in and complaining...

I found this clip on You tube... I got a little laugh... Hope you like it too..


13 comments:

The Farnsworth Family said...

I am laughing SOOOOO hard right now. I just got my nails done too and this is my experience EVERY time. I still go back. Glad you stick to your guns :) he he!

Heather said...

That stinks!! You finally get away for some relaxing time for yourself and it all goes to pot!! I got a pedicure a couple of days ago at a place right next to our neighborhood for the first time. That was the BEST pedi I've ever had!! They massaged my legs forever - then they dipped my feet in hot wax! After they peeled it off and my gross feet were now silky smooth - he proceeded to massage my legs a SECOND time!! Seriously - next time, you've got to go there!!

Jennifer said...

Lyd and I were busting up. I can relate.

Jennifer said...

p.s. i love the "5 people care" on your blog ;)

Susan said...

I can't believe you had such a bad experience. I go to Sunshine every month and I've always been really pleased. They're a little expensive, but they work miracles on my heels!

Emily R said...

that is funny
i would SOOO go back and complain. and tell them they suck. love the comedy clip - so true!!

The Holyoaks said...

Anjelah Johnson went to my high school. We used to cheer together and I had no idea she was that funny. The first time I saw this clip I about died.

Karen said...

That was hilarious! Im Heather Haughts sister, I recognized your name because I grew up in the same ward with Chad...and I couldn't help reading your hilarious story! and the video clip was right on, I cant believe how often that happens. Better luck next time! Karen

Sarah Hawkins said...

Thanks for your advice on Preschools, very appreciated! So sorry about your experience, that is the WORST!!

sarah said...

nhu mai tai. you made that name up, right?

too funny.

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

I totally didnt make that name up.. I seriously wanted to remember it so while i was sitting at the station getting my nails done i studdied her Nail License.. It IS her name!!!

Melanie said...

Man, you did such a good job describing your experience! That's the worst when they are chincy on the massage! I was dying when i watched the video..she was right on!

Anonymous said...

Oh- Dawn- you are right. We have all felt your pain. Your friend is right as well. The tip is all in the massage!