Thursday, May 22, 2008

Let's Rock N Roll!!!

RUNNING . . . I have found a new passion. The PERFECT place to escape the crazyness of LIFE around me. Where I can go be alone in my thoughts, listen to my music, or audiobook. I can reflect on my life, kids, husband, family, friends, callings, fitness goals, etc, the list goes on and on. I LOVE to start off my morning with a LONG run, get the endorphins going and feel like I have accomplished something, something great, and hard, and rewarding. I feel good after I run. HECK, I feel GREAT!!! It is definatly a passion.

As I started running I decided on setting a goal, a goal to finish a Marathon. I was excited to find the San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon for June 1st. I knew it would be LIFE CHANGING to cross the finish line along with some 16,000 people (that is how many did this event last year) I have spent much time in front of the computer watching YOUTUBE video's of people finishing marathons. It is a spiritual experiance I am DYING to have. I cry as I think about finishing and seeing my husband, mom and dad there at the finish. I know that is a thought I will be able to use to pull me through some of the tough miles I KNOW are ahead of me.

In research I found out that Winners of Marathons can win up to $500,000 . . . I by no means want to WIN a Marathon. My goal is to finish in under 5 hours (the average woman finishes in about that time) I am just looking forward to crossing the finish line in one piece and have the sense of accomplishment. June 1st is not going to be just an ordinary day. This is going to be where all of the hard work, focus, and determination I have put into these past 4 months of training will pay off. I have trained hard. I added up all the miles I kept track of since the beginning of March and I am at 346 miles run. That is INSANE to me. Honestly in January I couldn't run 2 miles without having to stop for walking breaks and to catch my breath. I have come so far. . .

So late last night I FINALLY did it... I registered for the Marathon. . . YES it has been my goal all along. As the time has gotten closer and I had NO ONE COMMITTED TO RUNNING WITH ME... I was so afraid to make the commitment to do the 26.2 miles ALONE. Even though I really don't mind RUNNING alone. . . the thought of standing at the starting line for an hour ALONE. . . Knowing I wont know anyone out on the course, not having someone to express the same feelings of crossing the finishline, etc. . . Next weekend I WILL be in San Diego I WILL be doing the Marathon. I will finish and I will be so happy to have accomplished the goal I set.


11 comments:

Alisse Baldwin said...

You GO GIRLFRIEND! More power to ya!

{I'm still in the "trying to catch my breath before the mile mark" group}

Sandi said...

Dawn- the only thing better than you finishing this San Diego marathon with your parents and Chad watching at the finish line...would be you finishing the marathon as your parents watched, while Chad and I sat on the beach :)

-Ben

Tiffany said...

Could I feel any more guilty??? You're going to do a great job- you know if it was here in town I would be right there by your side girl!!! If your still up for it I swear I will do rnr Arizona in January!! You are an inspiration and I feel so bad for not doing it!! I will be thinking about you the whole day (wishing you would come get yor kids already!!) jk. I will be wishing I was doing it with you!! But I'm not as strong as you!! You are my super woman! You've done a lot of hard work!! And you're one HOT MAMA!!!

Laura Fuller said...

Yeah! I didn't know if you were still in it or not, since you got so sick. You will do great and should feel awesome for coming this far already!

hornes said...

You are amazing! Have a big piece of cake or some mini rolo's before! It gives you energy! Ha ha! Love you Dawn. Good luck!

Marci McLain said...

Good Luck Dawn!! It will be awesome! That is amazing that you have already run almost 350 miles since March! You go girl!

Natalie Hall said...

I am going to cy with you on the day you cross that finish line, even if I am not there at the finish line, I will be thinking of you most definetly. You have made it already girl with all of the intense training and injurys, and you kept going strong. Dawn, you are a girl with fire and passion and we all feel that vibe that you give off, you are a WINNER!!!!!!

The Farnsworth Family said...

I am so proud of you Dawn. I know you will feel so many amazing things as you run the marathon... it will be so worth all of your hard work! Congrats chica!

Jennifer said...

you're awesome and you'll do great! can't wait to hear how you did.

Emily R said...

i am so excited for you!!! good luck! you are amazing and so inspiring. i remember trying to run with you in hawaii - no look, i am the one stopping and giving up and you keep going and going and going.... seriously, amazing.

Deanna said...

WOW!! I am super impressed! You're running 26+ miles and I can't even drag my butt to the gym! You are AMAZING!